Thursday, May 31, 2007

What is a Denver sandwich???

A Denver sandwich or omelet apparently goes back to the early forties. It was a popular dish in restaurants.
You start with 2 or 3 eggs scrambled a bit, throw into a small frying pan with a few sauteed onions, maybe a some mushrooms, and the most important ingredient is chopped sauteed green pepper. Among my relatives people did not eat green peppers, celery or anything that resembled them. We did eat mushrooms as my Mother knew how to gather the safe ones in the fall of the year.
You cooked this mixture like an omelet and served it in a sandwich or left it as an omelet.
I remember sometime in the 60's my parents had a small work party at their house. Ma made delicious home baked crescent rolls and they were filled with chicken salad. I know she cooked the chicken herself which made for a delicious filling. One of my brothers was just livid because she put a small amount of diced celery into the filling. He could not believe she ruined the sandwiches with celery!!! That is my point about using green pepper in an omelet, really, how gross is that??? Change came slow, I don't know if it was this way in all families, but the men had a hard time eating something new and unknown. I will have more stories about this subject at a later date, The Countess of Cuisine

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We call that "Fried egg on a hard roll" but I like Denver Sandwich better. It sounds fancier!

kirwoodd said...

Sounds good!
It sounds like a slice of ham would REALLY tie it all together. :)

Hmm, maybe a couple thin slices of black forest ham? Or cubed and sauted with the other ingredients?

So theMom, are you going to make me a Denver sandwich when I am in MN next week? :)

Anonymous said...

When I was little I played with a jewish girl. Her Mother would serve us Denver sandwiches for lunch . They did have ham or bacon in them. Her Mom also toasted the bread and spread it with mayo. I was afraid to try it at first but I grew to enjoy them and we eat them for a quick evening meal quite often.

kirwoodd said...

ICK!
Having just returned from MN, I can say for certain that it is NOT a "Fried egg on a hard roll"!!!!

We had them a couple of ways, but in the pannini maker was the best!!!! Nice homemade bread to start, build the sandwich, throw it into the the pannini maker...
hmmm.....